Saturday, September 11, 2010

BALD EAGLE FAMILY,Sept.10th,2010


Arrrival time 4:30pm.

Shortly after we arrived the adult took flight.
Young stayed in the tree. These two always seem close together.

My son is back in college now so our visits are limited. But he has a short day Fridays and we took this opportunity to go out to see our family of eagles. Such a beautiful September day. And the lake was fairly calm. When we arrived there were no eagles in sight anywhere. Have they left?
We took a run up the river. Maybe we will spot them there. No such luck. A few caspien terns still around and a few great blue herons. Not much action at all. Ospreys have left.

So we headed back out. When we got to the mouth of the river I saw that familiar beautiful bird on the his usual roost. The dead tree. In behind him. His two young eagles. Didn't see the other adult.

Within min. the adult took flight towards the river. Probably going fishing. But as I watched him I noticed another eagle in flight. He was flying in that direction. As Jeff & I watched it became an arial acrobat display. The two eagles actually looked as if they collided. I thought it may be the parent birds doing a display. But then noticed it was another young eagle. It was calling out and after the confrontation was over. That young eagle flew in the other direction. The adult flew up the river.

Young eagles were both still sitting in there tree. And then they both flew. What a magnificent sight. We have not seen them both in flight but once. And it is a wonderful thing to see these two young siblings together in flight. The older bird has always watched over the younger. And they seem to have a real bond. I could hear calling back in behind in the rookery. Then we saw another young eagle in flight. It was calling. It did not come out. But we could see it back in behind. These two flew in there and you could hear them all vocalizing. Have not seen other adult yet.

Then one of the two young eagles came out and landed on the tree again. Still hear vocalizing out in the rookery out back. Then the young eagle took flight. It didn't get far and the other adult was right behind it. It started shrieking. And seemed it was upset with her. They chased and chased. And all of a sudden they both turned and did a steep climb. Eaglet shrieking and calling out. Totally looking stressed. Adult right on it. She turned and showed her talons to her young and touched. Young eagle calling out still and panting with it's beak open. Adult broke off and the young eagle followed her. It panted for some time. She flew in front and then dropped behind and I could see her watching her young eagle above her while they flew quite a while together in peace.

Eventually, the young eagle went back to the rookery were the other two young were still vocalizing. Other adult still out fishing and other young had not returned to our knowledge. But may have as we were pretty busy watching this display. Adult then turned and flew back to her post in the rookery. I don't know if young birds are still being fed. No fishing was done while we were here this time.

All around us we had big fish surfacing. So there was no shortage for food for the eagles. They must have had a successful day of fishing and were satisfied.

As we were getting ready to leave at 6:50pm. we heard 2 gun shots go off. Very close. Hunting season is almost upon us. I am not sure why we heard the shots. But I know they duck hunt all around here. When we got back to the marina the marine unit had also just pulled in. So we had a talk with them. And they will keep there eyes open for us. I know they wouldn't get shot intentionally. But accidents do happen. We had a trumpeter swan we rescued in 2006 who had been shot in her wing and could not fly. We pray for this eagle family to be well and go south soon in safety. And we will get out there as much as we can until that happens. They have become our family too. !!

Time we left. 7pm.